Top 30 Socrates quotes
Top 30 Socrates quotes
Who was Socrates?
Socrates was a classical Greek philosopher credited as one of the founders of Western philosophy. He is an enigmatic figure known chiefly through the accounts of classical writers, especially the writings .
In this article , I am going to share top 30 Socrates quotes.
1.The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
2.I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think
3.Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle
4.Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people
5.The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less
6.The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance
7.Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty
8.The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
9.From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate.
10.He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature
Other 20 Socrates quotes are :
- True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us
- Life contains but two tragedies. One is not to get your heart’s desire; the other is to get it
- The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms
- The easiest and noblest way is not to be crushing others, but to be improving yourselves
- The greatest blessing granted to mankind come by way of madness, which is a divine gift.
- I only know that I know nothing
- To be is to do
- Those who are hardest to love need it the most.
- Are you not ashamed of caring so much for the making of money and for fame and prestige, when you neither think nor care about wisdom and truth and the improvement of your soul?
- The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not fighting the old, but on building the new
- An unconsidered life is not one worth living
- wealth does not bring goodness, but goodness brings wealth and every other blessing, both to the individual and to the state
- Wealth does not bring about excellence, but excellence makes wealth and everything else good for men, both individually and collectively.
- The answer I gave myself and the oracle was that it was to my advantage to be as I am.
- By means of beauty, all beautiful things become beautiful
- Give me beauty in the inward soul; may the outward and the inward man be at one
- It is better to change an opinion than to persist in a wrong one
- Having the fewest wants, I am nearest to the gods
- Life without enquiry is not worth living
- Understanding a question is half an answer