ABRAHAM MASLOW HIERARCHY OF NEEDS
Abraham Maslow was an American psychologist BORN ON 1 April 1908
Abraham Maslow was best known for creating Hierarchy of needs , a theory which define human needs in a particular order and it could easily help in making decisions in life .This heirarchy has five major classifications.This article describe abraham maslow hierarchy of needs in detail.
Abraham Maslow defined the first and very basic need of a human being is physiological needs.Physiological needs consist of the needs that one being needs to survive and be alive.Like food , water , sheltar , sleep , fresh air to breathe and a healthy body .
Physiological needs are very important because if one does not have fresh food to eat , fresh and healthy water to drink , proper sleep , fresh and healthy air to breathe and a healthy body then one can not survive .
Abraham Maslow defined the second need of a human being is safety .Safety here includes protection of own body , financial security , security of the family , security of own property and shelter , security of all the resources that one person has .
This second level in the ‘Heirarchy of needs’ is very important to be followed and understood because if one does not have :
- Security of own body – then his own life would be in danger
- Financial Security – then how would he fulfill his/her physiological need ?
- Security of the family – then his family would be in danger .
- Security of own property/shelter – then where would he live ?
Abraham Maslow defined the third need of a human being is love/belonging .It includes friendship , family , social interaction , intimacy and affection .
This third level in the ‘Heirarchy of needs’ is very important to be followed and understood because:
- If we have fulfilled our physiological needs and our safety needs means :
1. We enough money to run our life
2. We have our family , home in our life
But we don’t have any friendship , love , care , affection then ask yourself these question :
- Can you live your life happily where you have enough money but no family love ?
- Can you live your life happily where you have enough money but no friendship ?
- Can you live your life happily where you have enough money but no social interaction?
Your answer would be absolutely ‘no’ because we are not mechanical being , we are human beings .We needs love, care,affection from our beloved ones.
Abraham Maslow defined the fourth need of a human being is esteem .It includes Self esteem ,confidence , respect of and by others.
This fourth level in the ‘Heirarchy of needs’ is very important to be followed and understood because:
- Can you imagine a life where you have fulfilled all three upper needs fulfilled but have no ‘high self esteem, self confidence , self respect and respect by others’?
Imagine a life where you are overloaded with self-sabotage , low confidence and you don’t get respect from yourself when you see yourself in the mirror or when you are alone.
Would you be happy with that life ? No. That’s why it’s fourth human need.
Abraham Maslow defined the fifth need of a human being is Self-actualization.It means creativity , passion , problem solving skills , morality .These are the highest level of human needs because :
- We are human beings. We are on this planet to create something or build something using our level of imagination or own unique ideas.We all gifted with some hidden talents and gifts , we just need to search them within and express our own creativity .Creatively expressing our own self makes us feel fulfilled and very alive .
- More qualities like passion , morality (ability to make distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour ) , problem solving skills are most essential needs of a human being.